About Gregory Thiess
Greg has mediated a broad array of commercial, contract, real estate, landlord/tenant, personal debt, private disputes, small claims and similar matters.
Gregory Thiess | Legal Mediation
Greg is committed to providing impartial and confidential mediator services to parties in litigation and non-litigation disputes, to help them achieve mutually agreed settlements of their disputes.
After 35 years as General Counsel and lead Litigation Counsel for several major companies, Greg Thiess now focuses his practice on serving as a mediator in civil disputes. During his in-house practice he mediated hundreds of commercial, product liability, personal injury, real estate, labor, employment and other complex civil cases.
Since becoming a mediator he has mediated a broad array of commercial, contract, real estate, landlord/tenant, personal debt, private disputes, small claims and similar matters. Greg also acts as a volunteer mediator for Conflict Resolution Services in Traverse City and Northern Community Mediation in Petoskey, and is listed on the civil mediator lists for Michigan’s 13th, 28th, 33rd and 46th Circuit Courts.
He has conducted both in person and virtual mediations, and also completed basic and advanced SCAO training for civil mediators, training for Elder/Adult Guardianship mediation and the Michigan Supreme Court’s recently initiated MI-Resolve dispute resolution program. All mediations are conducted under the Michigan Standards of Conduct for Mediators.
Greg most recently served as Vice President, Secretary & General Counsel for Carus Group and CL Enterprises, whose businesses engaged in manufacture of products for water treatment and environmental remediation, real estate development, the hospitality industry, agriculture, travel services and community development.
Prior to joining Carus, Greg was Vice President, Assistant General Counsel for Robert Bosch LLC, where he managed the legal activities of six affiliate companies including litigation, labor and employment issues, regulatory compliance, negotiating major transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance.
He previously served as Managing Counsel for Litigation, Claims and Labor at Dow Corning Corporation, where he led the company in its well-known national and international silicone breast implant litigation.
Greg is a member of the Michigan and Illinois Bar Associations, the Association of Corporate Counsel, and is a frequent speaker at legal and dispute resolution seminars. Greg completed his undergraduate studies at DePaul University, where he is a member of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Dean’s Advisory Board, and earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law, where he serves as a member of the Law School Alumni Board of Directors.
- J.D., University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- B.A., DePaul University
- State Bar of Michigan
- State of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- 13th Circuit Court (Antrim, Grand Traverse, Leelanau Counties)
- 28th Circuit Court (Wexford, Missaukee Counties)
- 33rd Circuit Court (Charlevoix County)
- 46th Circuit Court (Crawford, Kalkaska, Otsego Counties)
SCAP APPROVED MEDIATION TRAININGS
- 40 Hour Training for Civil Mediators
- Advanced Mediation Training for Civil Mediators
- Training for Elder/Adult Guardianship Mediations
- Ml-Resolve Training
- The “Facebook Firing” case-Employer limits on restricting employee use of social media. The Corporate Lawyer – Illinois Bar Association
- Will disqualifying job candidates based on their current unemployment soon be prohibited? The Corporate Lawyer – Illinois Bar Association
- Company Whistleblowers Get New Incentives and Protections The Corporate Lawyer – Illinois Bar Association